Let’s support the future.
Modern Marimba is committed to developing strong relationships with our local schools in-person and through virtual learning. Students in Southwest Florida have access to music instruction and using performance experiences as opportunities to learn listening skills, teamwork, empathy, and self-reliance. We are learning how to reclaim our humanity through music.
MODMA seeks a humble approach in learning and educating through the decolonization of music. There is no endpoint of being “decolonized,” only constant learning, reflecting, and growing.
Modern Marimba is inspired by groups such as Decolonizing the Music Room, a nonprofit organization using research, training, and discourse to help music educators develop critical practices and center the voices of people who identify as BIPOC, LGBTQIA+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer or questioning, intersex, asexual, and more), disabled, and womxn.
We value their knowledge and lived experiences that challenge the historical dominance of white Western European and American music, narratives, and practices.
There are many Ways to Give.
Sponsor a private lesson or a master class session virtually or in-person in Sarasota and Manatee County schools.
- We have outstanding clinicians ready to teach in schools and virtually through Zoom.
- Sponsor a master class or a virtual lesson for students. Virtual students benefit with live feedback from instructors.
Sponsor the purchase of an instrument at a local school.
- Sponsor the purchase of a mallet keyboard instrument for schools or students in need.
- This includes needs for equipment such as mallets, instrument repairs, and sheet music.
Help us commission a new work for young people.
- Modern Marimba commissions new pieces by composers and music creators, amplifying the voices of people who identify as BIPOC, LGBTQIA+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer or questioning, intersex, asexual, and more), people with disabilities, and womxn, and requests these pieces be added to the Florida Bandmasters Association (FBA) music list.
- Students also have the opportunity to perform these works in recitals and the Florida Bandmasters Association’s District and State Solo & Ensemble Music Performance Assessment (MPA).
Sponsor a Facebook livestream performance +Q&A session with guest artists.
- Modern Marimba moderates a virtual series highlighting current figures in music. Guests are invited to perform and discuss a variety of topics. Anyone with access to a Facebook account can watch this series. Visit our Facebook page.
Make a tax-deductible donation to Modern Marimba.
- Specify you would like your donation to be used for our Youth Educational Programs and our Micro-Grant Program for BIPOC, Queer, disabled and womxn students!
Modern Marimba is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Support artistic excellence!
*The CARES Act, recently passed by Congress, provides a universal deduction for contributions, including ticket donations, made in 2020, of up to $300, even for taxpayers who do not itemize. Additionally, for tax year 2020, Congress has lifted the existing cap on annual contributions for itemizers from 60% to 100% of Adjusted Gross Income (AGI). Modern Marimba meets all requirements specified by the Florida Solicitation of Contributions Act.
A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY CALLING TOLL-FREE WITHIN THE STATE (1-800-435-7352). REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL, OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE. Please refer to registration #CH60203. A professional solicitor has not been retained and Modern Marimba receives 100% of your contribution. EIN: 84-2738377
© 2020, All Rights Reserved.
Modern Marimba is a 501c3 nonprofit organization.